It didn’t take long to sell me on Vegan Peanut Butter Cups that are yummy , without any dairy and cholesterol plus a bit of a nutritional boost!
Did I mention gluten-free? ALMOST too good to be true – but only almost!
No snack is as satisfying as the combo of chocolate and peanut butter. It’s no secret that good quality Dark Chocolate is actually good for you. In addition to a good amount of antioxidants it can also enhance your mood (no surprises here either!). That explains why we crave a chocolate snack mainly in the late afternoon as a quick pick me upper. Combine chocolate with some protein rich nuts, like peanuts or almonds and you have the perfect satisfying snack. Yum!
I actually made a version of these many many years ago in our first apartment in NYC. I watched it on a Cooking Channel. Instead of cupcake liners, they put it in a square baking tin and then cut it into squares – the cut squares looked really good, too! Back then I was just never aware of how good this treat was for you – and I was clueless about what vegan or gluten-free was. I just thought this was one of the best (late night) snacks ever.
You will not believe how super easy it is to make your own Peanut Butter Cups. Yes, from scratch. You only need a handful ingredients, cupcake liners and a muffin dish and you’re good to go!
Ingredients for Vegan Peanut Butter Cups:
18 oz semisweet Chocolate Chips ( I like Trader Joe’s Semisweet Chocolate Morsels)
1/2 cup Natural Creamy Peanut Butter ( I use Skippy Natural)
2 tablespoons of Confectioners’ Sugar
optional: 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
Here is how it goes:
- fill your muffin tin with cupcake liners
- in a saucepan, melt chocolate chips on very very low heat.( I’m not a microwave fan, that’s the reason why I melt the chocolate on the stove )You can add a 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil while it’s melting, it helps to make it more smooth. If you watch the heat closely and keep stirring the chocolate it will not burn, and it will be ready in 2 minutes.
- add teaspoon of the melted chocolate into each cupcake liner
- place tray in fridge and let it settle a bit until you’re ready for the next step
- in a small dish, combine the peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar and stir until creamy
- add a teaspoon of peanut butter onto the chocolate layer and spread it
- now add the second chocolate layer on top and spread it even.
- place in fridge again until the chocolate is firm