Homemade cookies are an important part of the holiday season!! I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes with you today, vanilla cut-out cookies for the holidays!!
I grew up near Frankfurt Germany and I cannot remember a Christmas without lots of homemade cookies. Everybody bakes their own favorite cookie recipe and cookie exchanges are always so fun between friends and neighbors.
Vanilla cut-out cookies will always be one of my favorite holiday cookie recipes. The taste combo of vanilla and butter is hard to beat when it comes to any type of dessert or cookie recipe. As you can tell I’m a huge fan of everything pure vanilla.
This recipe shown here is very easy to follow. It also converts easily into a gluten-free recipe when you replace the regular flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Just stick with simple blend. Keep in mind that any rice flour might be difficult to roll out. The most important thing about this recipe is super soft butter. So let it soften at room temperature one or 2 hours before preparing the cookie batter. This will ensure a great smooth texture of the batter.
The icing for the cookie is super easy as well. It’s made from egg whites, powdered sugar and vanilla. It really rounds up the cookie, but I have to admit I enjoy them simply without any icing as well. Note: They taste absolutely heavenly. My 4 year old son David was the cookie sprinkler in chief for these pics.
1 1/4 sticks Butter, unsalted
1 cup Cane Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Vanilla
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
dash of salt
2 2/3 cups flour, or gf flour blend
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 Egg White
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Sprinkles for decoration
- in a bowl add softened butter first, stir until creamy
- add all remaining ingredients until batter is well blended.
- sprinkle flour on work surface on roll out dough and cut out cookies.
- place cut-out cookies on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until edges are slightly golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- remove from oven and let cookies cool on a rack.
- in the meantime whisk egg white in a clean bowl until stiff. Slowly work in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- add icing into icing bag (or freezer bag – just cut off a tip) and decorate cookies.