Paper Mache Crafts are fun activities for both, adults and kids alike. There really is no limit to the creative outlets Paper Mache crafts offer. I personally always enjoyed making bowls. I just have a thing for pretty artsy bowls, whether they are ceramic, porcelain or made out of Paper Mache. I love decorating my house with beautiful DIY crafts and I love the personal touches and memories that these crafty items hold. My favorite pieces are the ones my kids made. Whatever crafts I’m unable to display because I’m literally running out of space at times I keep in a big bin. Forever. They are so dear to my heart.
Paper Mache is one of those crafts that looks a bit intimidating at first but they really are just so easy to make. You don’t have to be the world’s greatest sculpture, artist or crafter to create a beautiful piece of art made from Paper Mache. There isn’t even a big expense involved, all you need is a balloon, glue, and paper of your choice.
It’s a fun craft for kids. They can really get their hands dirty with the homemade Mod Podge and create something beautiful.
Talking about about paper. For this particular bowl I chose tissue paper. But there are so many other paper options
you can choose for creating Paper Mache, even newspaper or decorative wrapping paper. The options are endless and the results are all beautiful.
For this Paper Mache bowl you need:
School Glue or Mod Podge
a glass with a closing lid
The glue I chose for this Paper Mache Bowl, is my own version of homemade Mod Podge. It’s less sticky, it has a more neutral odor and it’s more kid-friendly. I put 1/4 cup of school glue in a jar and add 1/2 cup of water to it. Close it tightly and shake it up.
- blow up your balloon to whatever size you want your bowl to be
- cut tissue paper into squares, about 2 inches wide
- dip tissue paper pieces into glue and place glue soaked paper pieces onto the blown-up balloon
- cover most of the balloon with tissue paper
- let it dry. This can take up to 24 hours. ( Resist the urge to poke the balloon before the tissue paper is fully dry.)
- When fully dry, poke the balloon and then start cutting around the dried tissue paper, until it resembles a bowl.
Linking up with KreativK for Sweet Inspiration